Grub Rescue is the error when you remove an Ubuntu partition from Windows when you have dual boot in the machine. Grub Rescue means your boot loader or folder is broken or missing.
You can resolve this error from below steps:
- Insert your windows CD/DVD and restart your machine.
- Press F12 and go to the boot setting. You will see the Repair your computer option on the left side. (in windows 7).
- Go to the advanced options then Command Prompt.
- In CMD type below commands:
- Then exit and restart your machine, It will work.
Still not then, you can try this:
Go to the Error page:
Grub Rescue> ls
It will show the partitions which you have made.
You will get something like-
(Hd0), (hd0, msdos7, (hd0,msdos6)…
Check all the partition from below command-
Grub Rescue> ls (hd0, msdos2)
It will show a message if your root partition is not there- filesystem is unknown.
If this is correct partition then it will show- Filesystem is ex2
Then type below command-
Grub Rescue>set prefix=(hd0, msdos1)/boot/grub
Grub Rescue>insmod normal
Pc will be reboot now and will open Windows normally.